Friday Tailgate: The Gobble Gobble Burger
I came up with this recipe by accident like many of the best things seem to be discovered. The story goes, I had about a quarter-pound of ground turkey, one slice of smoked deli turkey and scraps from chopping onions and peppers from a morning omelet. It wasn’t enough to really make a meal individually, so I used my basic kitchen skills to come up with this, which also works great at a tailgate.
My girlfriend at the time thought this was ridiculous. She posed this question: Why did you use two types of turkey? I told her the story, to which she responded, “You were supposed to say, ‘So you can gobble, gobble.’” And that, my friends, is how this phenomenal tailgate burger was born.
1 lbs ground turkey
5 Tbsp Dinosaur BBQ Cajun Foreplay rub
4 slices of pepper jack cheese
4 thin slices of smoked deli turkey
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
Salt and pepper, to taste
Honey mustard dressing, to taste
Toasted kaiser roll
1. Season ground turkey with Cajun spice, salt and pepper.
2. Form turkey into four 1/4 pound patties and grill.
3. Just before burger is finished grilling, top with onions, green pepper and cheese.
4. Lay smoked deli slice over top.
5. Toast kaiser roll, then spread honey mustard dressing evenly.
6. Plate and Gobble Gobble.